Monday, July 19, 2010

WHO NEEDS REALITY?

It's always nice when you find a musician that's down to Earth, lovely, doesn't think she's a musician, will simply get bored of the music she loves and fall in love with it all over again and is so brilliant. Panda Beach is one of those musicians. Her EP "Last Days Ashore", released last year in the year 2009 was recorded on her phone for the world to hear. She is too shy to perform, adores country and folk music, would love to visit the most beautiful places on the planet and is just pure genius.






What kind of music captures you and why?
There are so many good things about music that anyone will end up with a ceaseless list from contemporary music to roots music. I don't really know where to begin, but I know that I'll always love... country! And to a much greater extent, folk. I will simply get tired of folk and fall in love with it all over again. The word serves many kinds and is so broadly defined. Like an egg. I also love psychedelic rock, cajun, the gymnopedie, ambient, electronic and drone music, and, have I mentioned country?

If someone payed for an all expense trip to anywhere in the world, where would you like to go?
Furano, the lavender farm, Japan. Baden Baden, the spa-town, Germany, and the endless list of beautiful cities, Seoul, Montreal, Casablanca, Marrakesh. I'm a globetrotter at heart. It's mostly for the love of the food and the weather and... the infrastructure.

I heard that you recorded your songs for this EP on your phone? I think that's genius.
Yes, I did. I was just being practical. I forgot things easily so I recorded it before it slipped my mind. Frankly, I don't really know how to record properly. It's either I'm too lazy or too retarded to sort it out.

How long have you been making music?
I've never done it before, so the time between May and August 2009 really was my first time in music. I can't even sing. And I'm not, I'm not a musician. But people were so nice to me. I started a page out of... despair? It was nice to see those songs lining up and conversing with some artists I dearly adored.

What are your favorite movies?
I like movies, a lot. I grew up with Betamax. And I still play movies religiously at the end of the day before I go to sleep. At the moment I'm trying to collect The Cremaster Cycle piece by piece through the internet. There's so many of them and I don't know know whether people have widely and completely distributed the series. If you have some, let me know!



Who is your favorite local musician?
Nowadays? This is tough. I like SORE, The S.I.G.I.T, Sketsa, they're all amazing. I also like Voyagers of Icarie, they're really different. At the moment I like Indah Pertiwi! Haha! The one who sings "Baru Aku Tau Cinta Itu Apa". I can't get that out of my head.

What keeps you up at night?
Ghastly creatures? Midnight movies for sure. I sometimes wake up at 3 in the morning with no reason. And I can't really deep sleep before midnight.

Other than music, what else is important to you?
Healthy life! Lunchboxes and... Love.

I don't think I've ever seen you perform. Have you ever performed?
No, I have never performed before. I'm too shy and I think none of the songs are finished, you know what I mean.



Where do you want to be when you wake up?
A sea of pink sand with the loved one!





You can find her on myspace here:
http://www.myspace.com/pandabeachmusic


Download her EP here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2kzdtt1t2jm

No comments:

Post a Comment